6 Week Online Course which explores the oral literature, social tradition, material culture, popular belief and practices, which are the essence of Irish Folklore, with a native Irish Folklorist (accredited by University College Cork), Shane Broderick.
This online course guides students through the essential topics of Irish Folklore in manageable weekly classes:
- Week 1: Folklore Collection in Ireland - A look at the history of folklore collection throughout Ireland’s history. We will examine some of the pioneers, collectors and collections as well as some of the organisations involved in folklore collection.
- Week 2: Stories and Storytelling - Examining the different types of storyteller (Scéalaí and Seanchaí ) and their art. We will also look at the history and social context of story telling.
- Week 3: Charms, Cures, Curses and Folk Magic - Here we will explore some different types of the folk magic and folk healing of Ireland.
- Week 4: The Other Crowd and the Otherworld - Covering the “other crowd” (the Sídhe / Fairies) and some of the most common folklore attached to them. It will also explore the evolution of the idea of the Otherworld(s) that exist parallel to our own.
- Week 5: Calendar Customs - Here we look at some of the seasonal traditions including pilgrimages, festivals and some of the more obscure observances.
- Week 6: Folklore Collection Workshop - For the final week we examine how you would go about collecting your own folklore (with examples from Shane's own fieldwork). This covers questioning techniques, ethics, equipment, other methods of documenting... and what to do with the folklore material afterward.
This Teaching is suitable for beginners, as well as those with more experience in this area, or in other traditions. You do not have to be dedicated to or working with any Irish Gods, Guides, or Guardians to take this course. You do not have to have any Irish Heritage to take this course.
Your Course access enrollment below includes both live and recorded access each week to:
- -- Class Presentation Slides
- -- Class Video
- -- Class Audio
- -- Class Chat Log
- -- Q & A Session from the Live Class
- -- Weekly Resources Guide
Throughout, you will get the unique perspective of a native folklorist who has studied Irish Folklore directly, with some of the top academics in this field. You can find more of Shane's work at Ireland’s Folklore and Traditions (on Facebook and Wordpress) - https://irishfolklore.wordpress.com/
Weekly Classes will be accessible progressively as you move through the material, and you'll get an email week by week to remind you that the new content is available in your Course Curriculum.
Click the Enroll button below to join this Course and get started with Week One - Folklore Collection in Ireland.
"An invaluable resource. I highly recommend the Irish Pagan School. There are paid courses and a number of free courses and resources that maintain an excellent level of quality, whether free or fee based. New classes appear all the time on a wide variety of topics and featuring native Irish teachers. If you have an interest in Irish culture, history, and native spiritual practices then you will find a wealth of information available to you. Bain triail as! Give it a try!"
- Danielle Malone, Scotland (via Ireland)
Frequently Asked Questions
"I found this class informative, engaging and well presented. Shane is very knowledgeable as well as easy to follow. I plan on taking the next class he teaches as well."
- Gwendolyn Rowan, Irish Pagan School Student.
How to Get Access...
- Choose the payment option below that best suits you - pay in Euros with a Credit Card, or pay in US Dollars with a Credit Card or PayPal.
- Click your preferred option so it's highlighted in orange.
- Click the big orange 'Enroll Now' button.
- On the Order Summary page, click to 'Add Coupon' if you have one! (Type in the coupon code)
- Enter your Account and Payment information.
- Tick the box to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions.
- Click the orange button at the bottom of that page to enroll at the price that is displayed.
Don't forget you have a full, no quibble, 30 day money back guarantee!