Online class which details the origins of the Banshee as well as her
many meanings and guises. The strands of folk belief about her around
Ireland will be examined and discussed and meanings drawn from the
differences in experience and belief across the country. Was she a fairy
woman? Was she really attached to only some families? Is she always an
old woman when she appears? We will trace the significance of certain
additional beliefs attached to her - for example the Irish practice of
keening - and look at eye witness accounts of meetings with her across
time. Class will also include modern portrayals and versions of her.
Gain a deeper understanding of the
complexity of Irish folklore and belief. A big emphasis in this class
will be on how banshee beliefs differed from place to place across
Ireland and how they changed even within the diaspora. Explanations for
this supernatural woman will also further inform students on the
development of fairy beliefs in Ireland and the importance attached to
female death messengers in the culture which further relates to the
important role women held in death rituals across time. Students can
also examine what she means in the culture today to examine living
beliefs in action.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
1. What is a banshee (what does that mean)?
2. The idea of a death messenger
3. Her appearances - how she made herself known and how it altered across Ireland. Her use of the comb and other legends attached to her
4. The eye witness reports
5. The attachment to certain families
6. Women and death in Irish tradition and how the banshee fits into those traditions and rituals
7. The banshee today
This Teaching is suitable for beginners, as well as those with more experience in this area, or in other traditions. You do not have to be dedicated to or working with any Irish Gods, Guides, or Guardians to take this class.
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU ENROLL THIS COURSE?
Your Course access enrollment includes access to:
- -- Class Presentation Slides
- -- Class Videos
- -- Class Audios
- -- Exercises to complete in your own time
- -- Interactive Q&A Session with the Teacher (recorded during live class).
You will get the unique perspective of Dr. Gillian Kenny an Hon Research Associate at the Centre for Gender and Women’s Studies in Trinity College Dublin. Her specialism is women’s lives in medieval and early modern Ireland and beyond.
This is a completely self-paced online course.
When you enroll in this class, you are receiving lifetime access (with a full 30 day money back guarantee).
Enroll in the course, download the content, learn from the materials... and if you don't like what you've learned just email us and we'll give you all your money back. We're taking a risk by offering this - we can't get the content back, so you could just enroll, then ask for a refund, and rip us off! However, we work on an honour system with our Tuath, as did our ancient ancestors. We trust that you won't do that to us, just like you can trust that we will do our very best to make sure you have a good experience with the Irish Pagan School.
You have a 100% money back Guarantee, for a full 30 days, so you can go ahead and enroll with full confidence.
(see below - HOW TO GET ACCESS TO THIS COURSE)
Dr. Gillian Kenny is an Hon Research Associate at the Centre for Gender and Women’s Studies in Trinity College Dublin. Her specialism is women’s lives in medieval and early modern Ireland and beyond. She is also interested in the lives of those considered outsiders in the medieval world and is currently researching that topic. She has taught in both UCD and TCD and has appeared in and written on various historical topics both on TV and in newspapers/magazines as well as working on her own books and papers.
"This was very useful in breaking down the elements of the charms, and the theory behind them. I'm so grateful for the resources provided for further study! GRMA!!"
- Rowan Kal - Irish Charms Student 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
"Informative and concise, this class gives the student an opportunity to immediately apply the knowledge acquired in most practical ways. The no-nonsense approach, which has become a staple for classes in Irish Pagan School, left me with the sense of clarity and appreciation for the Irish heritage of charms and its application…"
- Daniela Simina - Irish Charms Student 2020
Once you have enrolled for a LIVE online course...
You will receive some emails from [email protected].
When you enroll in a course at the Irish Pagan School, you’ll receive a system confirmation email that contains a clickable link to the course. You can use this link to open your course, or you can type the school or course page URL into the address bar of your web browser. (www.IrishPaganSchool.com)
You'll also receive:
- Fáilte - How to Access your Course at the Irish Pagan School! This tells you how to log in, what to do if you forget your password, and how to join our Students Only facebook group (if you'd like to).
- Your Live Online Class Zoom Invite. This is the invitation to join our live event. You can also find this in the Course Curriculum, after you log in using the instructions in the email above!
If you can't attend the course teaching live (at 9pm Irish time on the Sunday), don't worry, the recorded files and presentation slides, etc. will be posted into your Course Curriculum by the following Tuesday.
HOW TO GET ACCESS TO THIS COURSE
- Choose the payment option below that best suits you - pay in Euros with a Credit Card, or pay in US Dollars with a Credit Card or PayPal.
- Click your preferred option so it's highlighted in orange.
- Click the big orange 'Enroll Now' button.
- On the Order Summary page, click to 'Add Coupon' if you have one! (Type in the coupon code, for example, from our Patreon Here)
- Enter your Account and Payment information.
- Tick the box to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions.
- Click the orange button at the bottom of that page to enroll at the price that is displayed.
Don't forget you have a full, no hassle, 30 day money back guarantee!