Online Course providing an understanding of the history and heritage of hand crafting in Ireland, as well as the folklore and folk practices associated with certain crafts; taught by the Crafty Cailleach, Amy O'Riordan (née Coe).
An introduction to various traditional hand crafts - including textile crafts such as spinning and weaving, natural fiber crafts like basket making and thatching and more! After exploring the types of crafts and the history of them in Ireland, your native teacher Amy (The Crafty Cailleach) introduces folk stories, beliefs and magic associated with these crafts in the Irish tradition. Even if you are not a crafter yourself, hand-crafting is an important part of Irish cultural heritage and history which has played a vital role in industry and economy in Ireland, and for the Irish diaspora around the world.
Crafts Covered in this Class
- 1. Textile Crafts (incl. carding, spinning, dyeing, knitting, weaving, crochet & Irish lace)
- 2. Natural Fiber (incl. basket making, thatching)
- 3. Stone (incl. masonry, Clare slate, drystone walling)
- 4. Woodwork (incl. spinning wheels, currachs, musical instruments such as Bodhrán & Harp making)
- 5. Leather (incl. shoes, bookbinding, sliotar)
- 6. Metalwork (incl. blacksmithing, gold and silver-smithing)
- 7. Other Crafts (incl. pottery, glassware and candle-making)
In exploring and introducing students to each craft, the history of each is explored in conjunction with the folklore and folk belief, as well as folk magic practices for protection, curses and cures.
Through this class students gain an overview of the history of hand-crafting in Ireland as well as the associated Irish folklore surrounding it, and it will address the introduction of crafts to Ireland from overseas and looking at the influences on Irish hand-craft traditions.
This Teaching is suitable for beginners, as well as
those with more experience in this area, or in other traditions. You do
not have to be dedicated to or working with any Irish Gods, Guides, or
Guardians to take this class.
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU ENROLL THIS COURSE?
Your Course access enrollment below includes access to:
- -- Presentation & Resource Slides (PDF)
- -- Class Video
- -- Class Audio
- -- Q&A Session (recorded during live class)
- -- PDF Copies of Journal Articles Referenced in the Class
You will get the unique perspective of a native Irish crafter and Irish language Gaeilgeoir, who shares her love of Irish history, folklore, food and magic regularly on her own YouTube channel and social media, and is currently a candidate for a Masters Degree in Irish Regional History.
This is a completely self-paced online course.
When you are enrolled, join in live if possible, and get the recorded files after for repeated or further study and reference. You decide when you start and when you finish.
When you enroll in this class, you are receiving lifetime access (with a full 30 day money back guarantee).
Just click the big orange buttons on this page to enroll now!
Amy is a practicing Irish Pagan and witch based in Waterford in the South-East of Ireland. She has grown up with folk practice and belief handed down orally, keeping the flame of that tradition alive in her own life and by researching information to share and promote Irish history and cultural heritage. Amy also runs a YouTube Channel, The Crafty Cailleach, where she shares her love of Irish history, folklore, food and magic, and also is currently a candidate for a Masters Degree in Irish Regional History (2023). She has delivered classes on the Irish Language, as well as Hearth Magic, and Irish Hand-Crafting, at the Irish Pagan School.
"Delighted by the wealth of historical context given here - so helped in the grounding of my own understanding of hearth magic (or kitchen witchcraft, as my dad introduced it to me when I was little). Especially enjoyed the section on how hearth magic can be practiced in our modern world & time. Well done, go raibh míle maith agat!"
Shannon McEntee - Hearth Magic
Frequently Asked Questions
This class was the first one of IPS that I was able to attend in real time and it was so worth it. The teachings and discussions were so great and it only made me want to learn more. Thanks so much!
How to Get Access...
- Choose the payment option below that best suits you - pay in Euros with a Credit Card, or pay in US Dollars with a Credit Card or PayPal.
- Click your preferred option so it's highlighted in orange.
- Click the big orange 'Enroll Now' button.
- On the Order Summary page, click to 'Add Coupon' if you have one! (Type in the coupon code, for example, from our Patreon Here)
- Enter your Account and Payment information.
- Tick the box to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions.
- Click the orange button at the bottom of that page to enroll at the price that is displayed.
Don't forget you have a full, no quibble, 30 day money back guarantee!