Online Class which gives a (necessarily!) brief introduction to the Brehon laws from a native Irish Folklorist, clarifying some of the misconceptions that are commonly propagated in relation to the early Irish legal system.
We will examine questions and cover topics such as:
- -- Society at the time the laws were written down
- -- Status and social hierarchy
- -- The composition of the texts and the scholarship on them
- -- Fosterage
- -- Medicine/ sick maintenance
- -- Slavery and hostages
- -- The rights and status of women
- -- Marriage and divorce
- -- Poets and satirists
This Teaching is suitable for beginners, as well as those with more experience in this area, or in other traditions. You do not have to be dedicated to or working with any Irish Gods, Guides, or Guardians to take this class.
Your Course access enrollment below includes both live and recorded access to:
- -- Class Presentation Slides
- -- Class Video
- -- Class Audio
- -- Class Chat Log/Resources
You will get the unique perspective of a native Irish folklorist who has studied the Brehon Laws directly, with some of the top academics in this field. You can find more of Shane's work at Ireland’s Folklore and Traditions (on Facebook and Wordpress) - https://irishfolklore.wordpress.com/
Click the Enroll button below to join this Class.
"An invaluable resource. I highly recommend the Irish Pagan School. There are paid courses and a number of free courses and resources that maintain an excellent level of quality, whether free or fee based. New classes appear all the time on a wide variety of topics and featuring native Irish teachers. If you have an interest in Irish culture, history, and native spiritual practices then you will find a wealth of information available to you. Bain triail as! Give it a try!"
- Danielle Malone, Scotland (via Ireland)
AUTHOR BIO - SHANE BRODERICK, IRISH FOLKLORIST
Shane is a native of Youghal, County Cork, with a wide-ranging interest in many aspects of Irish culture and heritage. His almost life-long interest in folklore was instilled in him from a young age listening to the stories of his grandfather. This passion was fully ignited when he took up photography as a hobby and was taken by the folklore of buildings and sites he visited.
This led him to pursue the subject academically, and he graduated, with honours, from University College Cork in 2018 with a BA (JOINT HONS) in Folklore and Celtic Civilisation. As part of this, he studied the Brehon laws under Dr Kevin Murray (UCC).
He set up Ireland’s Folklore and Traditions (on Facebook and Wordpress) in the hope of bringing Irish folklore, traditions and customs to a wider audience. More at - https://irishfolklore.wordpress.com/
Frequently Asked Questions
"Great teachers who know their stuff. lots of resources provided, many at no cost. very engaging classes. I have now completed about half of the offered classes. Many have multiple updates and new materials. So much great information!"
- Jenna McGeoghegan, USA.
How to Get Access...
- Choose the payment option below that best suits you - pay in Euros with a Credit Card, or pay in US Dollars with a Credit Card or PayPal.
- Click your preferred option so it's highlighted in orange.
- Click the big orange 'Enroll Now' button.
- On the Order Summary page, click to 'Add Coupon' if you have one! (Type in the coupon code)
- Enter your Account and Payment information.
- Tick the box to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions.
- Click the orange button at the bottom of that page to enroll at the price that is displayed.
Don't forget you have a full, no quibble, 30 day money back guarantee!